It was reported on Wednesday that Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Liam Coen took himself out of the running to become the Jacksonville Jaguars’ next head coach and would instead sign a new contract to stay with Tampa Bay for at least one more season. However, the situation may have changed later in the day after Jacksonville somewhat surprisingly parted ways with general manager Trent Baalke.
Per Caleb Skinner of Sports Illustrated, Jaguars radio play-by-play voice Frank Frangie revealed earlier in the week that Coen was seen as the favorite for the Jacksonville job. According to the JoeBucsFan website, Frangie suggested on Wednesday’s edition of his radio show that the Jaguars’ dismissal of Baalke could result in the franchise once again reaching out to Coen.
“Frangie said his sources told him young coaches around the NFL were spooked by Baalke because of the respect they have for fired Jags coach Doug Pederson,” JoeBucsFan explained. “Apparently,
they feel like if Pederson couldn’t last in Jacksonville and Baalke turned on him, they want no part of it.”
Later on Wednesday, Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports reported that “it would not be shocking to see the Jaguars make another run at” Coen with Baalke out of the equation. Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio
also hinted that Coen could reconsider his plans knowing he wouldn’t have to work with Baalke.
Back when the Jaguars were linked with then-Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, who ultimately accepted the Chicago Bears’ head-coaching job, a report said that Johnson “might want his own general manager in place” with Jacksonville. It’s unclear if the Jaguars would give Coen that kind of power in an attempt to lure him away from Tampa Bay this month.
According to Jones, Coen’s new Tampa Bay contract contains no “coach-in-waiting” clause that promises he will eventually become Todd Bowles’ successor with the organization. Bowles seemingly is safe as it pertains to this offseason, but some assumed the Buccaneers could turn to Coen as soon as next winter depending on what happens during the 2025 season.
One wonders if the Buccaneers will have to offer Coen an even higher pay raise than previously thought to keep him from having additional conversations with the Jaguars during the ongoing hiring cycle.
This content was brought to you by: Yardbarker: NFL





