It was recently suggested that the San Francisco 49ers could be open to trading backup quarterback Mac Jones if they could receive a second-round draft pick in return for Jones either before or after the 2026 NFL Draft. 

For an update shared on Wednesday, NFL insider Jason La Canfora of SportsBoom made it known that interested teams are ready for the 49ers to play hardball regarding Jones’ availability. 

49ers may have placed a “‘Godfather’ offer” price on Mac Jones

“Executives from several teams looking at quarterbacks expect the 49ers to do all within reason to keep Jones,” La Canfora wrote. 

La Canfora added that those executives “believe the price it would require to obtain [Jones] in trade will be more than most teams would be willing to part with.” 

Jones became the subject of trade rumors as far back as this past fall after he went 5-3 across eight starts when San Francisco QB1 Brock Purdy was sidelined with a toe issue. Some even said at the time that 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan should’ve stuck with the “hot hand” of Jones once Purdy was healthy, but Purdy ultimately returned to the lineup and then guided San Francisco to a playoff berth and a road postseason win. 

The Niners signed Purdy to a five-year, $265M contract extension that included $181M in guarantees and a no-trade clause last offseason after the club agreed to a two-year deal with Jones. According to one unnamed “high-ranking official who is seeking a new quarterback,” Shanahan wants to enter September with both Purdy and Jones on the roster. 

What could it take to land Mac Jones from 49ers?  

“I know that Kyle doesn’t want to lose him,” that official said about Jones while speaking with La Canfora. “I think they’ll put up a pretty good fight. You’re going to have to knock their socks off.”

Meanwhile, a different executive warned interested teams that they had “better be prepared to trade for a starter, and a top 20 starter” because the 49ers are “going to hold out for a real (draft) pick” if they take calls about Jones’ services. 

Earlier this week, ESPN’s Bill Barnwell wrote that a team could send the 49ers a 2026 second-round pick, a 2027 fifth-round selection (conditional) and a 2028 third-round pick (conditional) for Jones and a 2027 third-round choice. Assuming La Canfora is correct, one wonders if such an offer would be good enough to change the 49ers’ stance on keeping Jones through at least the start of next season. 





This content was brought to you by: Yardbarker: NFL

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts